Biography & Background
Paul E. Gilbert is the co-founder of Beus Gilbert PLLC, a premier boutique law firm concentrating on high stakes litigation, real estate and zoning law. Mr. Gilbert leads the Firm’s Real Estate department, with emphasis on representing clients in transactions and litigation involving real estate development, as well as zoning and land use law. His transaction practice includes real estate acquisition and disposition, financing, land valuation, zoning, subdivision, site planning, and other land use approvals. Mr. Gilbert’s litigation practice is focused on resolving zoning disputes, restrictive covenants and other private limitations on land use, including condemnation proceedings. His experience includes administrative law involving State Land Department and Arizona Department of Environmental Quality matters, land annexations and landfill, and other waste disposal licensing.
For over four decades, Mr. Gilbert has been the lead lawyer on many of the most high profile zoning and land use matters in Phoenix, the second fastest growing metropolitan area in the US. Mr. Gilbert represents owners, developers and individuals. His clients are many of Arizona’s top developers and best known businesses, including William Levine/Pacific Proving, JDM Partners, LLC, El Dorado Holdings Property Company and Wentworth Property Company, LLC, as well as national and international entities such as Host Hotels and Resorts, Macerich, Carlyle Development Group and WP Glimcher. Mr. Gilbert’s victories have opened the door to development of iconic landmarks in Arizona, including The Phoenician Resort and Dial Tower. He represented the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints before the largest crowd ever to attend a Phoenix City Council meeting, helping his client resolve neighbors’ concerns and resulting in the development of the North Phoenix Mormon Temple.
A 1971 graduate of University of California at Berkeley’s Boalt Hall Law School, Mr. Gilbert served as Note and Comment Editor of the California Law Review. He received his B.S., cum laude, in 1968 from Brigham Young University where he was Student Body President and a member of Phi Kappa Phi Honorary Fraternity. He served as President of the BYU Alumni Association from 1998 to 1999.
Mr. Gilbert is recognized by his peers as an AV® Preeminent Lawyer with the highest rating in Martindale-Hubbell and is ranked among the highest rated lawyers in America in Best Lawyers in America, Chambers & Partners USA Guide and Southwest Super Lawyers. He is admitted to practice before the United States District Court for Arizona and the Supreme Court of the State of Arizona.
Mr. Gilbert’s support of his community is extensive. Among his many contributions, he has served as Chairman of the Arizona Chapter of The National Conference (formerly the National Association of Christians and Jews), Board of Director of the John C. Lincoln Foundation Board and Chairman of the Desert Mission Fund Drive where he led the Capital Campaign to raise $2.5 million to expand the food bank.
To serve the legal community, Mr. Gilbert has chaired the Arizona Chapter of the J. Reuben Clark Law Society and been active in the State Bar of Arizona. He has been a panelist and speaker at State Bar seminars and for industry groups on topics related to real estate development, zoning and land use.
- Original entitlement of The Phoenician Resort and current expansion plan;
- Expansion of the Wigwam Resort;
- Numerous multifamily projects throughout the Valley;
- Entitlement of numerous high rise buildings, such as the Dial Tower;
- Expansion and entitlement for religious institutions;
- Metrocenter redevelopment;
- Expansion of Desert Ridge Master Plan;
- Entitlement of regional centers such as Scottsdale Quarter and Prasada;
- Entitlement of large auto malls throughout the valley;
- Entitlement of major master planned communities such as Belmont, Prasada and Estrella;
- Leases on tribal lands;
- Entitlement for mining operations; and
- Entitlement for corporate headquarters.
- President, Brigham Young University Alumni Association, 1998 and 1999
- Chairman, Arizona Chapter of The National Conference (formerly the National Association of Christians and Jews)
- Board of Directors, Desert Mission Foundation Board
- Chairman, Desert Mission Fund Drive
- Chairman, Arizona Chapter of the J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- Board of Directors, J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- Adjunct Professor, Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School
- Chairman, Rex E. Lee Teaching Excellence Fund Drive
- Chairman, Arizona State University’s Charles E. Jones Scholarship Fund Drive
- Chairman, Brigham Young University’s Charles E. Jones Scholarship Fund Drive
Cover Story: Leo Beus and Paul Gilbert might be two of the most influential, but least known heavy hitters in Arizona, M. Sunnucks, Phoenix Business Journal, March 4, 2016
- Alumni President Devoted to BYU, Service, C. Winters, BYU Magazine, 1998 http://magazine.byu.edu/tag/paul-gilbert/
- Panelist and speaker on Arizona State Bar Association seminars
- Panelist and speaker on City and County programs
- “Direct Actions Against Insurance Companies,” California Law Review
Carlyle Development Group
Kornwasser Shopping Center Properties, LLC
Kaplan Management Company
Host Hotels & Resorts
Lennar Multifamily Communities, LLC
Beckham Gumbin Ventures, LLC
Americal Management Company, Inc.
Pasternack & Associates
Wentworth Property Company, LLC
Parkland Development, LLC
Western States Lodging
Automatch USA, LLC
Hancock Companies, LLC
Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.
Ken and Randy Kendrick
MCO Properties, Inc.
Blue Mountain Cafes
Brigham Young University
JDM Partners, LLC – Jerry Colangelo
DriveTime Automotive Group
El Dorado Holdings Inc.
Hospice of The Valley
London Bridge Resort
Park West Development
Pulte Homes Corp.
Elliott D. Pollack & Company