Biography & Background
Richard Williams is a Member of Beus Gilbert, representing clients in complex litigation involving intellectual property, securities and fraud, professional malpractice, partnership and business disputes, real estate and contract disputes. He has been lead or co-lead litigator in plaintiffs’ cases resulting in verdicts or settlements totaling in excess of $850 million for his clients. His favorable results include representation of a major linguistic software developer in license agreement litigation against Microsoft, a university against Pfizer relating to Pfizer’s development of Celebrex and an international bank against former international accounting firm, Price Waterhouse. His current cases include intellectual property claims against DISH Network.
Mr. Williams is recognized by his peers as an AV® Preeminent Lawyer with the highest rating in Martindale-Hubbell and is ranked among the highest rated lawyers in America in Best Lawyers in America.
A magna cum laude graduate of the University of Michigan School of Law, Mr. Williams received his undergraduate degree in Economics from Brigham Young University, also magna cum laude. Mr. Williams is admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh and Ninth Circuits, United States District Court for Arizona and the Supreme Court of the State of Arizona. From 2002 to 2005, Mr. Williams and his family lived in Brazil doing religious and charitable work. He is fluent in Portuguese.
- $338 million jury verdict after the eleven and one-half month Standard Charter v. Price Waterhouse trial, which was the largest jury award in Arizona history at the time.
- $450 million settlement for major university and professor against pharmaceutical company and its predecessors for breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets and patent infringement.
- $145.4 million in settlements in representation of liquidator for a hedge fund against auditors, attorneys and investment bankers.
- Successfully represented a major linguistic software developer in license agreement litigation against Microsoft
- Successfully represented a national hotel chain in partnership disputes in various jurisdictions including trials in Minnesota and Iowa.
- Lived in Brazil with my family for the purpose of religious and charity work from 2002 to 2005
- Active in local religious and charity work.