Biography & Background
Timothy Paris is a Member of Beus Gilbert with a diverse litigation practice. Paris has argued numerous appeals in federal and state courts across the country in connection with the Firm’s representation of plaintiffs in complex litigation cases, including securities, officer and director liability, shareholder derivative actions, accounting malpractice and other professional liability claims. His clients have included the bankruptcy trustee for the national food chain, Boston Chicken, in which he represented the trustee in an action against accounting firms, law firms and investment bankers, resulting in a settlement in excess of $280 million. He has represented several other trustees and liquidators in complex business cases. Mr. Paris is licensed to practice law in Arizona, California and Indiana.
Mr. Paris attended the University of St. Andrews, Scotland, and graduated from Duke University (BA, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa), in 1976. He received his law degree, with honors, from Indiana University in 1979 where he was Articles Editor of the Indiana Law Journal. He also holds a Ph.D. in history from Cambridge University, England (1997). Mr. Paris is the author of two books on modern Middle Eastern history: Britain, the Hashemites and Arab Rule,1920 – 1925: The Sherifian Solution (Routledge, 2003), and In Defence of Britain’s Middle Eastern Empire: A Life of Sir Gilbert Clayton (Sussex, Jan. 1, 2016).
Representative Cases for Plaintiffs:
- $145.4 million in settlements in representation of liquidator for a hedge fund against auditors, attorneys and investment bankers.
- $280 plus million in settlements for Bankruptcy Trustee of fast food chain against national accounting firm, investment bankers, and law firms.
- $55 million settlement for Bankruptcy Trustee against national accounting firm, investment bankers, and lawyers.
- Current representation of client in a legal malpractice lawsuit involving development of real estate loans totallng $40 million.
Representative Cases for Defendants:
- Successfully defended shareholder derivative claim for Fortune 500 company seeking over $1 billion without any payment.
- In Defence of Britain’s Middle Eastern Empire: A Life of Sir Gilbert Clayton (Sussex Academic Press, 2016)
- Britain, the Hashemites and Arab Rule: The Sherifian Solution (Routledge, 2003)